As I'm writing a book on growing as a software developer, I'm kicking off a series called "Ask the EM", where I'm answering career development questions for software developers.
I've been a software engineer for 10 years, working across the stack, growing from junior, through senior to a principal position. I then moved to be an engineering manager, having helped tens of developers on my team grow, get promoted and get better in various areas.
If you have a question on career growth, professional growth or other topics that someone like myself can answer, send an email to askTheEM@pragmaticengineer.com. The more context you provide, the better.
I'll be publishing answers to some of the popular questions on this blog. Answers to posts:
- Ask the EM: Can You Really Measure Individual Developer Productivity?
- Ask the EM: How Can I Prepare to Eventually Move into Engineering Management?
- Ask the EM: I'm Acting as The Team's Lead, But I'm Not Actually One
- Ask the EM: I Feel Stuck as a Staff Engineer, Wanting to Move Into an EM Role
Featured Pragmatic Engineer Jobs
- TicketSwap: Engineering Manager (Amsterdam)
- Linear: Senior Full-Stack Engineer (Remote, EU/US timezones)
- Fonoa: Senior Backend Engineer (Remote, EU timezones)
- FindHotel: Engineering Lead (Amsterdam)