I invest in developer tooling companies, and in industries I have significant expertise with (e.g. payments).
My investment philosophy is simple: I invest in companies I'd jump at the opportunity to work at, if I was not busy with my own business. This also means I recommend all the below companies as great - and promising - places to work at.
They all issue fair equity, so if the company does well, so do employees. They have a bold vision, a great team, and are rocket ships worth grabbing a seat on 🚀
📱mobile.dev: setting the new standard for mobile development. I'm an active advisor and mobile.dev has been my single biggest investment. I strongly believe they will be first mobile tooling unicorn. See jobs.
💰Fonoa: automating taxes for the Internet economy. I observed the amount of work implementing taxes meant first-hand, at Uber. Fonoa takes the complex work Uber - and many other large companies - do in-house, and makes it available to any business. I know the founders, who are ex-Uber folks and sometimes get involved with them. Open roles.
💻 Slip: the easiest way to create and sell interactive programming courses so you can learn by doing. I love the drive the founding team has and the potential to reach millions of developers.
🚨incident.io: the way incident management should be. Founding members build one of the best incident management systems across the industry at Monzo. Now they're building an even better one for anyone to use. One of the most forward-thinking and inclusive teams I know of. See open jobs.
📅 Rise Calendar: on a mission to help teams get more important work done. They have a world-class founding team, and I worked on the same team as their cofounder/CTO, Willem. Strong recommend. See open jobs.
Featured Pragmatic Engineer Jobs
- Senior backend engineer & Senior frontend engineer at Rise Calendar (EU, €80-120K + equity) I'm an investor.
- Software engineer at Interact (Remote, $120-200K + equity)
- Full stack software engineer at Pallet (New York, Remote, US)
- Engineering manager & Software engineer at Orbit (Remote, global)
- Senior platfrom engineer at Qualified.com (Remote, US)
- Product engineer at incident.io (London, £70-130K + equity) I'm an investor.
- Tech lead/Senior fellowship at Commit (Canada): test startups for 3 months at a time!
- Founding full-stack engineer & Founding web3 engineer at Launch House (Remote, US)