Templates as Inspiration for Software Engineers and Engineering Managers
While I was at Uber I became somewhat known for creating templates documents, and encouraging engineers and managers to use them for things like perf reviews, work logs and others, as a starting point. I encouraged others to improve these templates, and to customize and make them their own.
I've "re-created" a few of these, and I'm sharing it with the same intent. I'll add new ones to this page, as I come around to the several other templates that served me over the years.
I do not suggest blindly copying any of these documents. Instead, use them as inspiration. They worked for me, in my use case. Others at Uber took them, changed them, and used them. Many others didn't use them at all. If you think they'll help: give it a go, iterate on them, and make them yours!
For software engineers
- Performance review template and an example for software engineers
- Work log document for software engineers
- How to lead a project as a software engineer
For tech leads and engineering managers
For job hunting
- Resume template for software engineers: the one I created for my book The Tech Resume Inside Out: what a good developer resume looks like. This clean template is successfully used by engineers who got recruiter calls from Facebook, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Robinhood, PayPal and others.
Featured Pragmatic Engineer Jobs
- Full-Stack Engineer at Farmlend. £85-95K + equity. London.
- Senior Backend Engineer at Farmlend. £85-95K + equity. London.
- Senior Full Stack Engineer at Perfect Venue. $150-180K + equity. San Francsico or Remote (US).
- Senior Software Engineer at AI Build. London or Remote (Europe).
- Senior DevOps Engineerr at AI Build. Remote (US).
- Full-Stack Engineer at Vital. $70-120K + equity. Remote (Global, within 5 hours of GMT).
- Backend Engineer at Vital. $70-120K + equity. Remote (Global, within 5 hours of GMT).
- Technical Lead - Platform at Vannevar Labs. Remote (US).
- Senior Software Engineer, Fullstack at Vannevar Labs. Remote (US).
- Computational Geometry Engineer at AI Build. London or Remote (Europe).
- Senior QA Engineer at AI Build. London or Remote (Europe).
- Lead Backend Developer at Cineville. €53-79K + equity. Amsterdam.
- Senior Software Engineer, Distributed Systems at Mixpanel. $200-270K + equity. New York, San Franciso, Seattle or Remote (US).
- Senior Software Engineer, Fullstack at Mixpanel. $200-270K + equity. New York, San Franciso, Seattle or Remote (US).
- Principal Engineer at Shoplift. $185-205K. New York.
- Senior Engineer at Sixfold AI. New York.
The above jobs score at least 10/12 on The Pragmatic Engineer Test. Browse more senior engineer and engineering leadership roles with great engineering cultures, or add your own on The Pragmatic Engineer Job board and apply to join The Pragmatic Engineer Talent Collective.
Want to get interesting opportunities from vetted tech companies? Sign up to The Pragmatic Engineer Talent Collective and get sent great opportunities - similar to the ones below without any obligation. You can be public or anonymous, and I’ll be curating the list of companies and people.
Are you hiring senior+ engineers or engineering managers? Apply to join The Pragmatic Engineer Talent Collective to contact world-class senior and above engineers and engineering managers/directors. Get vetted drops twice a month, from software engineers - full-stack, backend, mobile, frontend, data, ML - and managers currently working at Big Tech, high-growth startups, and places with strong engineering cultures. Apply here.