👋 Hi, this is Gergely with a bonus, free issue of the Pragmatic Engineer Newsletter. We cover one out of five topics in today’s subscriber-only The Scoop issue. To get this newsletter every week, subscribe here.
This article was updated in December 2022.
In the midst of gloomy news about hiring freezes and layoffs, let's highlight companies which are growing and hiring. I asked people to share companies which are hiring software engineers and engineering managers, and to provide the following details:
- What does the company do, in one sentence?
- Roles being hired for.
- One good thing about the place, as shared by the person submitting it.
- Link to more information, or to apply.
I was hoping for 100-200 companies hiring, but the final list contains well over 1,300:
View the whole spreadsheet here.
What I especially like about this set is that people have said what they like about places, and frequently added even more context in additional comments.
I feel this list is a nice counterbalance to the grim news about widespread headcount reductions. There’s a lot of places which are growing and looking for new colleagues to join!
This was one out of the five topics covered in this week’s The Scoop. A lot of what I share in The Scoop is exclusive to this publication, meaning it’s not been covered in any other media outlet before and you’re the first to read about it.
The full The Scoop edition additionally covers:
- Meta’s historic layoffs. I have long maintained my opinion that Meta was unlikely to do layoffs, and terminating employees should be avoidable. Yet, Meta let 13% of staff go a week ago. Why did the company do this, and where did I go wrong with my prediction? Analysis.
- Twitter 2.0: full reset. Only three weeks after taking over the company, Elon Musk seems to be pushing for a full culture – and personnel – reset at the social media company. Exclusive details.
- GitPod’s product roadmap. The cloud deployment environment scaleup has raised $25M in funding. I talked with the co-founder and CEO about their plans, and how GitPod is different from GitHub Codespaces. Exclusive.
- Adyen: investing while others are laying off. Adyen is a competitor to Stripe, processing a similar number of bookings, aka gross merchandise value (GMV). Their CEO issued a note to explain why they will not reduce headcount. Analysis.
Featured Pragmatic Engineer Jobs
- Engineering Leader - Card Platform at X1 Card. $250K+. Remote (US).
- Engineering Leader - Card Product at X1 Card. $250K+. Remote (US).
- Senior Android Engineer at Polarsteps. Amsterdam.
- Frontend Software Engineer at Enveritas. $130-150K. Remote (Global).
- Senior Software Engineer, Distributed Systems at Mixpanel. $200-270K + equity. New York, San Franciso, Seattle or Remote (US).
- Senior Software Engineer, Fullstack at Mixpanel. $200-270K + equity. New York, San Franciso, Seattle or Remote (US).
- Software Development Manager - eCommerce at Card Kingdom. $175-195K. Seattle, WA or Remote (US).
- Senior Frontend Engineer at Pento. £80-92K. Remote (Global).
- Senior Fullstack Engineer at Synthesia. £70-110K . Remote (Europe or US Eastern time) or onsite (London, Amsterdam, New York).
- Senior Backend Engineer at Synthesia. £70-110K . Remote (Europe or US Eastern time) or onsite (London, Amsterdam, New York).
- Senior Frontend Engineer at (catch) Health. $90-120K + equity. Remote (North America).
- Staff Backend Engineer at Pento. £95-115K. Remote (Global).
- Senior Full Stack Engineer (Laravel / Vue) at RXMG. Remote (Global).
- Sr. Cloud Infrastructure Support Engineer at RXMG. Remote (Global).
- Founding Engineer, Front End and API at Causal. $175-225K - equity. Boston.
- Senior Full Stack/Frontend Engineer at Vitally.io. $180-270K. New York or Remote (US).
- Senior Software Engineer - Core Platform at CAST.AI. €72-€96K. Remote (EU).
- Senior Software Engineer - Cost Optimization at CAST.AI. €72-€96K. Remote (EU).
- Solution Architect at CAST.AI. Remote (EU).
- Senior Software Engineer - Security at CAST.AI. Remote (EU).
- Solutions Engineer at Pigment. $70-120K. New York or Toronto.
The above jobs score at least 10/12 on The Pragmatic Engineer Test. Browse more senior engineer and engineering leadership roles with great engineering cultures, or add your own on The Pragmatic Engineer Job board and apply to join The Pragmatic Engineer Talent Collective.
Want to get interesting opportunities from vetted tech companies? Sign up to The Pragmatic Engineer Talent Collective and get sent great opportunities - similar to the ones below without any obligation. You can be public or anonymous, and I’ll be curating the list of companies and people.
Are you hiring senior+ engineers or engineering managers? Apply to join The Pragmatic Engineer Talent Collective to contact world-class senior and above engineers and engineering managers/directors. Get vetted drops twice a month, from software engineers - full-stack, backend, mobile, frontend, data, ML - and managers currently working at Big Tech, high-growth startups, and places with strong engineering cultures. Apply here.