I get a lot of scoop sent by readers (thank you!). Sadly, in 2022, a good part of the scoop is about companies laying off people. Some of this scoop has not been reported before.
I don't want to broadcast layoffs on Twitter or LinkedIn continuously, but also don't want this information to be lost. This page collects scoops I receive, some of which might not have been reported elsewhere.
For a far more complete overview of layoffs, please see Layoffs.fyi.
- Hopin. The 3rd layoffs in 2022, combined with the transformation of the company. Hopin said 17% of staff was let go. The VP of Product, Directors, Head of Data Science all let go. Verified. Source.
- Typeform (SaaS for building+analyzing surveys): expected to impact ~30% of the ~470 employees. "We did not meet our anticipated growth of 45% and fells hort of our goals". ARR of the company is $79M in Q3, and is anticipated to be at $82M at end of year, vs the $105M forecasted. Verified.
- Babylon Health (healthcare tech: schedule doctors from your device): let go of ~100 people from a staff of around 1,500. Verified.
- Productboard (SaaS for creating product roadmaps): 20% of people let go, about 100 people. Verified. Source.
Pipedrive (a sales customer relationship manager platform): 143 employees let go (~15%). Most of this is from R&D, a big part of it engineers. Reason: less growth than expected - the company's focus is SME. Some key engineers let go, some newer teams also let go. "Definitely some good talent to pick up from the alumni." Verified. Source.
Wistia (video marketing SaaS) let go 20% of staff, about 40 people. Verified.
Beat: full shutdown. Beat was a ride-sharing company operating in Greece and Latin America, with a large tech hub in Amsterdam. In Daimler acquired the company for $43M and kept operating it. On 8 November, Daimler decided to shut down Beat, including letting go ~600 people, ~170 of whom were software engineers. A skeleton crew will operate the service until the end of 2022.
Daimler has decided to focus on their other ride-sharing service, FREE NOW, which is also a competitor to Uber in Europe.
In Mexico, the company had a large initiative with private drivers and a fleet of Tesla cars. That operation is in talks of selling to other investors.
Meta - 13% layoffs. Widely-reported, e.g. here.
Domino Data Lab (data workflow platform, Series E). 25% of their workforce laid off. Engineering and design are impacted. Verified.
Featured Pragmatic Engineer Jobs
- Engineering Leader - Card Platform at X1 Card. $250K+. Remote (US).
- Engineering Leader - Card Product at X1 Card. $250K+. Remote (US).
- Senior Android Engineer at Polarsteps. Amsterdam.
- Frontend Software Engineer at Enveritas. $130-150K. Remote (Global).
- Senior Software Engineer, Distributed Systems at Mixpanel. $200-270K + equity. New York, San Franciso, Seattle or Remote (US).
- Senior Software Engineer, Fullstack at Mixpanel. $200-270K + equity. New York, San Franciso, Seattle or Remote (US).
- Software Development Manager - eCommerce at Card Kingdom. $175-195K. Seattle, WA or Remote (US).
- Senior Frontend Engineer at Pento. £80-92K. Remote (Global).
- Senior Fullstack Engineer at Synthesia. £70-110K . Remote (Europe or US Eastern time) or onsite (London, Amsterdam, New York).
- Senior Backend Engineer at Synthesia. £70-110K . Remote (Europe or US Eastern time) or onsite (London, Amsterdam, New York).
- Senior Frontend Engineer at (catch) Health. $90-120K + equity. Remote (North America).
- Staff Backend Engineer at Pento. £95-115K. Remote (Global).
- Senior Full Stack Engineer (Laravel / Vue) at RXMG. Remote (Global).
- Sr. Cloud Infrastructure Support Engineer at RXMG. Remote (Global).
- Founding Engineer, Front End and API at Causal. $175-225K - equity. Boston.
- Senior Full Stack/Frontend Engineer at Vitally.io. $180-270K. New York or Remote (US).
- Senior Software Engineer - Core Platform at CAST.AI. €72-€96K. Remote (EU).
- Senior Software Engineer - Cost Optimization at CAST.AI. €72-€96K. Remote (EU).
- Solution Architect at CAST.AI. Remote (EU).
- Senior Software Engineer - Security at CAST.AI. Remote (EU).
- Solutions Engineer at Pigment. $70-120K. New York or Toronto.
The above jobs score at least 10/12 on The Pragmatic Engineer Test. Browse more senior engineer and engineering leadership roles with great engineering cultures, or add your own on The Pragmatic Engineer Job board and apply to join The Pragmatic Engineer Talent Collective.
Want to get interesting opportunities from vetted tech companies? Sign up to The Pragmatic Engineer Talent Collective and get sent great opportunities - similar to the ones below without any obligation. You can be public or anonymous, and I’ll be curating the list of companies and people.
Are you hiring senior+ engineers or engineering managers? Apply to join The Pragmatic Engineer Talent Collective to contact world-class senior and above engineers and engineering managers/directors. Get vetted drops twice a month, from software engineers - full-stack, backend, mobile, frontend, data, ML - and managers currently working at Big Tech, high-growth startups, and places with strong engineering cultures. Apply here.